Ads by AdBrite

Your Ad Here

Saturday, November 20, 2010

Brain Challenge

File Size: 43 MB
File Type: CSO
Winrar Password: NetCash


My brain is in a pretty sorry state. It consistently lets me down at pub trivia nights, it rarely remembers my relatives' birthdays (sorry, Mom), and so far it has utterly failed at making me a million dollars. Now I know why. According to Gameloft's PlayStation Portable game Brain Challenge, I'm only using about 6 percent of the mushy grey mass, 7 percent if I've just had lunch.

But Brain Challenge promises to help me turn my cognitive life around by coaching me through a series of mental tests on a daily basis, tracking my progress and encouraging me to improve along the way. It's a formula that's worked well for Nintendo, which has sold millions of copies of its Brain Age titles worldwide.

Gameloft jumped onto the brainwagon in 2006, debuting Brain Challenge on mobile phones in 2006. In 2008, the company released versions of the game for Nintendo DS, Xbox Live Arcade and PlayStation 3. The brain tickling title also made its way to PSP. Brain Challenge, downloadable via the PlayStation Store, makes a solid entrance with its large variety of minigames, endearing (albeit graphically unimpressive) training doctors and progress-tracking functions. 

The best thing about Brain Challenge (aside from the cute, fresh-faced doctors) is its ability to track your daily progress, a la Brain Age, in a variety of categories: logic, math, memory, visual and focus. If you're the type who goes for self-improvement, you'll enjoy loading up the game every day, taking the battery of tests and tracking your long-term improvement (or decline, in my case).

If you're unhappy with your performance in a certain category, you can pop into the Training Room to get some extra practice. Doing so will also help you unlock additional minigames in each category. You'll be graded on your performance in each game type, so no slacking unless you want to see big, fat Ds next to each. There's a Stress Test, too, which adds distractions and multitasking to the standard puzzles.

After each Daily Test, your friendly framerate-challenged coach will show you a visual representation of your brain and the percentage of it that you ostensibly used to complete the test. It's a humbling image designed to entice you to keep coming back to the game for improvement.  

No comments:

Post a Comment